About John Kline
From the day he was sworn in to Congress, John Kline has been a conservative voice for the men and women of Minnesota’s 2nd district. John has established a record of representing the views and values of Minnesotans while fighting to reduce the size and scope of government. A true defender of freedom and liberty, John served our country for 25 years in the United States Marine Corps where he retired at the rank of colonel. John and his wife, Vicky, live in Lakeville, Minnesota. He is especially proud of his two children and four grandchildren.
John has been representing the best interests of Minnesotans by:
• Pushing for historic spending cuts by introducing a “Cut, Cap, and Balance” plan that would institute historic spending cuts now; implement statutory caps on how much the federal government can spend going forward; and send to the states a Constitutional balanced budget amendment that will limit federal spending and require Washington to live within its means.
• Continuing the fight for a full repeal of ObamaCare and its unconstitutional mandate that is smothering American businesses and patients.
• Fighting to reduce the size and scope of the government and rooting out bureaucratic waste while advocating for a full audit of the Federal Reserve.
• Keeping our promises to our veterans and their families by championing Yellow Ribbon legislation that helped establish the “Beyond the Yellow Ribbon” reintegration program nationwide.
• Standing up to Big Labor: When Obama’s National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) told Boeing it couldn’t open a plant in South Carolina, John championed legislation to stop government intrusion and prevent the NLRB from dictating where private businesses can create jobs.
• Protecting the unborn and promoting the respect for life; John proudly holds a 100 percent rating from the National Right to Life Committee.
• Putting an end to business as usual by refusing to waste taxpayer money on pork projects and successfully leading the charge to eliminate earmarks in Washington.
• Strongly supporting the Constitutional right of individuals to keep and bear arms. John is a life member of the NRA which annually issues him the highest marks for his legislative efforts to protect and preserve Second Amendment rights.
• Representing our conservative values in Congress; the American Conservative Union awarded John with a 100 percent rating in 2009 and a 96 percent rating in 2010.
• Advocating for stronger border security and ensuring those who enter our country illegally do not get rewarded for breaking the law.
During his successful career in the Marines, John distinguished himself as a helicopter pilot and earned the responsibility of flying Marine One, the President’s personal helicopter. John was also hand-picked to serve as a personal military aide to President Jimmy Carter, and subsequently to President Ronald Reagan. John’s responsibilities during this period included carrying the nuclear “football” – the briefcase containing the nuclear war plans and strike options in case of a national emergency. John also commanded all Marine aviation forces in Operation Restore Hope in Somalia.
Among his many medals and awards are four Legion of Merit Medals, a Joint Service Commendation Medal, a Naval Commendation Medal, a Meritorious Service Medal, and the Defense Superior Service Award.